Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Explorer Vest from Little Things to Sew


For my nephew's second birthday last month I decided to stitch up the explorer vest from the new Oliver + S book, Little Things to Sew. I opted to use an Echino dark green solid from my shop and then pulled some stash prints, Alexander Henry's owls on green and a Joel Dewberry woodgrain print for the bias trim. Easy enough to lay out and trace all of the pattern pieces - everything came together pretty quickly. At first I thought I would make the optional pocket bellows with the owls as a contrast print but then started on the back pocket and found it looked really sloppy. I just couldn't handle the fabric flopping outside the bottom of the pocket. So I had to rip it all out. This was as fun as it sounds!


I used the lining fabric to cut out two owls and create a stuffy which I anchored to a ribbon and sewed in a pocket. It can be snipped out if my nephew decides it should be destroyed.


I used an orange contrast thread to secure the pockets.

Looking at the photos now, I am not crazy about the choppy curving on the pocket details - it's hard work! Obviously this reflects my own ironing and patience deficiencies. My four year old daughter loved it and pranced around in the backyard. I hope that her cousin finds it just as amusing but am fine with the fact that it was ultimately thrown to the bottom of the gift pile and soon to be outgrown. 


Related Posts with Thumbnails